Police Officer Selection Test (P.O.S.T)
The National Police Officer Selection Test (POST) is given on a walk-in-basis in the Davis Technical College Assessment Center. No appointment necessary.
- Cost: $30.00
- Availability: Monday – Thursdays (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- Test Time: Allow 1 ½ - 2 hours for taking the test incl. check in/check out time.
- Results: By mail. Approximately 3 weeks.
- To Test: Payment and Photo ID. Check in at the Student Services desk in the main campus building pay the testing fee then bring the receipt to the Assessment Center (located in the same area).
Please review the practice test which will help you understand and prepare for the type of questions you can expect on the actual test.
The POST Test
The POST test is used by police officer training programs in Utah as an entrance selection criterion. The test comprises four separately timed test sections. Currently this test is offered as a paper-pencil test.
The first three sections are multiple-choice and true/false formats. The fourth section, Incident Report Writing, requires answers in complete sentences. Though most of the questions relate to police duty, no prior knowledge of law or law enforcement is needed to answer the questions.
- SECTION I - Mathematics (20 minutes)
- In this section of the exam you will be provided with situations that require the use of basic arithmetic. Scratch paper will be provided. Calculators are not permitted.
- SECTION II - Reading Comprehension (25 minutes)
- In this section you will read passages relating to police duty and answer questions based on those passages. A selection of true/false questions will be asked in this section where you will choose your best answer according to the information presented in the passage. There will also be questions in which you will choose an alternative that best completes the sentence.
- SECTION III - Grammar (15 minutes)
- This section requires you to identify errors in grammar, punctuation, or spelling. There are two types of questions. The first presents incomplete sentences where you will choose the alternative that best completes the sentence. The second type presents sentences containing spelling errors and you will choose the alternative that contains the misspelled word.
- SECTION IV - Incident Report Writing (15 minutes)
- This section tests your writing skills. You will use the information contained on a sample incident report form to answer the questions within the section. All of your answers must be written in complete, grammatically correct sentences.
To pass the POST Test, a minimum of 70% is required on all four sections of the test.
Scoring the tests
Your test will be submitted to Stanard & Associates in Chicago who are the national agency responsible for scoring these tests. You should allow up to three weeks before you receive your results in the mail.
When you come in to test, you will be provided with a takeaway information sheet with useful information relating to the test, when you can expect your results and re-test options. You can re-test any time after taking the first test (even before receiving your results) if you feel you did not meet the passing score on any of the sections. Note: You may be tested on a different test form depending on how soon you re-test.
For further information, please call the Davis Tech Assessment Center at 801-593-2336/2361 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.